| Because of the extreme single parental authority system that exists in Japan, in most cases, the parent who does not have the parental authority cannot meet their children, and even cannot know their children's whereabouts. And, cases of abuse of the children by the custodial parent and their new partner occur frequently. The abuse cases that occurred recently are reprinted from the newspaper in Japan as follows.|
- [Sankei Shimbun, July 11th, 2012] 5-year-old son killed by suspected abuse / Man living together with mother arrested on suspicion of causing injury in Saitama
- [Sankei Shimbun, July 6th, 2012] Kyoto District Court gives a 1 year and 10 month sentence to man who hit 6-year-old child
- [The Mainichi, June 29th, 2012] Shizuoka Prefecture Police arrest a mother and her boyfriend, on suspicion of throwing boiling water over two girls
- [Sankei Shimbun, June 12th, 2012] Osaka Prefectural Police sent documents to the public prosecutor's office concerning the charging of a mother on causing injury in her 2-years-old daughter abuse
- [Sankei Shimbun, June 4th, 2012] Osaka District Court handed down a sentence of 3 years and 2 months for man, who caused injury to boy's brain by shaking him intensely
- [Sankei Shimbun, May 4th, 2012] Osaka Prefectural Police arrested live-in partner of mother on charges of causing injury in child abuse case from 7 years ago
- [Sankei Shimbun, April 3rd, 2012] Mother's de facto husband strips 4-year-old boy completely and leaves him on balcony and he was arrested on a charge of causing injury
- [Sankei Shimbun, February 25th, 2012] 4 year-old boy dies in Tokyo, multiple bruises found on body
- [Sankei Shimbun, February 16th, 2012] Boiling water thrown over 4 year-old boy in Okayama
- [Sankei Shimbun, February 16th, 2012] Man abused eldest son of former girlfriend
Rearrested by Kyoto Prefectural Police on charges of causing injury
- [Sankei Shimbun, February 2nd, 2012] Baby shaken and suffers temporary serious condition
- [Sankei Shimbun, January 27th, 2012] Osaka City worker suspected of causing injury given disciplinary dismissal
- [Sankei Shimbun, January 27th, 2012] A powerful drug was mixed with eyewash / Girlfriend's eldest son serious wound
- [Sankei Shimbun, December 23rd, 2011] Mother's boyfriend prosecuted for abusing her eldest son
- [Sankei Shimbun, December 17th, 2011] Not guilty finding for rape of de facto wife's daughter overturned
- [YOMIURI ONLINE, November 28th, 2011] A girl, 5th grade of elementary school, tells classmates of abuse - Girl and classmates go to police together
- [NIKKEI Web, November 28th, 2011] 8-month-old girl brain dead - Mother and cohabiting youth arrested and charged with causing injury
- [YOMIURI ONLINE, November 27th, 2011] Cigarette burns found on whole body of 4-year-old child killed by abuse
- [YOMIURI ONLINE, November 26th, 2011] Mother hit four-year-old son and killed him - Abuse report not acted on
- [THE MAINICHI NEWSPAPERS, November 8th, 2011] 33-year-old man arrested in Osaka for scalding infant
- [Sankei Shimbun, October 23rd, 2011] Mother's boyfriend was arrested on the suspicion of abuse to her son of second grade at a junior high school causing his death in Nagoya
- [Sankei Shimbun, September 17th, 2011] Mother's partner arrested on the suspicion of having injured her 2 year-old son who became unconscious in Himeji, Hyogo.
- [Sankei Shimbun, August 26th, 2011] Parents were arrested on the suspicion of abuse to their 7 year-old eldest son causing his death in Nishiyodogawa, Osaka.
- [msn Sankei News, July 3rd, 2011] A 24-year-old mother did not give water or meals to her one-year-old eldest son and neglected him resulting in his death. She phoned the police voluntarily and was arrested.
- [Sankei Shimbun, July 2nd, 2011] A mother and her partner were arrested on the suspicion of injuring her two children by vacuuming their faces with a vacuum cleaner in Sakai, Osaka.
- [Sankei Shimbun, June 10th, 2011] The Kobe district court sentenced a 5-year prison to a woman for the assault causing death of her 5-year-old stepdaughter.
- [Sankei Shimbun, May 27th, 2011] A mother's former partner was arrested on the suspicion of murder and abandonment of her daughter in Shimonoseki City because of evidence discovered from confiscated material.
- [Sankei Shimbun, May 26th, 2011] A 19-year-old youth was arrested in Kobe on suspicion of having abused a 5-years-old girl who was the daughter of his common law wife.
- [Sankei Shimbun, May 24th, 2011] Prior to the arrest of a man in his twenties on suspicion of murder & abandonment of the daughter of his former partner, police conducted a search of his house in Shimonoseki City.
- [Sankei Shimbun, April 27th, 2011] A 41-year old worker was arrested on suspicion of having abused the daughter (4) of the woman he lived with.
- [The Kyoto Shimbun, April 22nd, 2011] Two-year-old child was assaulted and died two days later.
- [Sankei Shimbun, February 24th, 2011] Since 2006, the number of child abuse cases has increased 5 years in a row to 354 cases. The number of reports from neighbors doubled.
- [The Kyoto Shimbun, Februaly 15nd, 2011] The Kanagawa Prefecture Police arrested a mother's partner on suspicion of causing injury resulting in the death of her eldest son of 1 year and nine months.
- [Sankei Shimbun, February 7th, 2011] A mother and her partner were arrested for alleged abuse. Her eldest son was found with hands and feet bound by a rope.
- [Sankei Shimbun, January 12th, 2011] The Osaka Prefecture Police arrested a 26-year old man on suspicion of having broken bones in both legs of his common law wife's eldest son.